Sunday, February 13, 2011

Butter For My Feet


I bought my fourth pair of Sanuk's yesterday at The Block. Like I said in my FB post, I would've bought a fifth and even a sixth if the ones I'd considered had my size. I don't know whether it was fortunate or not since I can never regret buying a perfectly good pair of footwear. I suppose it was because I came from work and needed the retail therapy but in any case, I was determined not to step out of the store without a purchase. I ended up purchasing the Standard Grey.

A former colleague from my previous work posted buying new shoes as well. I think I've heard of the brand before but I was clueless about the line they carried. Toms Shoes, short for Tomorrow's Shoes, has been around since 2006 when the idea stemmed from an individual who wanted to create a business that also benefited the less fortunate. Buying a pair equals another being donated to the recipients of their cause. Because they were shoes and giving is never a bad thing, I immediately searched for a pair in my size. After all that scouring, I ended up with zilch...at least one that delivers here in the Phils. Sigh. There are a lot of canvas shoes out there and these were plain in design...but the idea that you're not just buying one for yourself (sort of like a buy-one-take-one kind of deal) is not something to miss.

What's great about both Sanuk and Toms Shoes is that both are driven not just to make a profit but to give back as well. The first by using materials that are eco-friendly, the latter by helping the community. People might think shoes from these places are expensive but the rewards in knowing you've done a good thing while indulging yourself...well, that's just priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment