Thursday, December 23, 2010

Iloilo and Guimaras on a budget p3

Our first day at Guimaras, we were able to put in island-hopping before the day closed. Christine was determined to enjoy the beach so a trip to Alubihod was set. The resort itself wasn't really impressive as the place looked like any other beach resort I've been to before. The sand wasn't as white or as pure as that of the beaches in Boracay or even Batangas but the island-hopping services was affordable (Php300 for the first hour) and relaxing. We made a total of 6 stops, I think, and didn't really take more than a couple of hours so the tour cost us Php475 total. The Turtle Island was one of the places we visited and though we missed the "nesting" season, we did see about 20 young pawikans (or (would-be) giant turtles). The Baras bat cave was another site and though sightings of the creatures were brief, the noise they made inside the dark cave was quite an experience.

The next morning, we had breakfast at the Pitstop. It was the island's version of a local fastfood chain, so we dined on burgers and hotdogs before heading to the capitol. We got helpful information at that place and I was able to buy a decent polo shirt with an embroidery of Guimaras Island for only Php250. From there we headed to the Kenyama beach resort. The place was much better than the Alubihod in my opinion and the water was so much clearer there. We did make a trip to one of the falls but I'll have to detail on that later since I forgot the name of the place though I recall very vividly the aches and pains in my legs after an unexpected hike to get there. The Guisi (pronounced gi-si) boasted of another beach resort and an old lighthouse. Entrance to have pictures taken there was just Php10 so it wasn't so bad. Because the actual lighthouse was old, climbing to the top of the tower was prohibited. The view would've been just the ocean so it wasn't much of a loss. Villa Igang was a welcome trip though entrance to see the place set us each back Php100. The rate was fair, I suppose, as it gave us free reign to see the so-called butterfly farm (I say "so-called" since I didn't really see any butterflies), the mangroves (where we got to walk along a narrow bamboo walkway), and more bat caves. The sun was already fading and we were already exhausted so we decided to forego the caves. On our way back to the chalet we'd decided on our dinner. We went back to the Pitstop for the Mango Pizza the proprietor suggested we try out then ordered takeout from the eatery fronting the chalet. Christine and Mitzie had decided to buy mangoes (which Guimaras was known for) but unfortunately, it was off-season so they ended with slightly sour pieces.

I'll end here and finish my rewind of our trip in my next blog. As was the case in my last post, I have to answer to nature's call. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment